TransferWise debit card is now live in the US.
The technology company’s borderless account has reached $10bn in deposits after experiencing rapid growth in Europe.
The card first launched in April 2018 in the UK and Europe. Since then cardholders have made more than 15 million transactions.
This debit card will support those in the US who want to travel, spend and send money internationally. After success across Europe, the TransferWise debit card is hitting the streets of the US.
In addition, a business card is slated to roll out later in the year. Expansion into Asia Pacific is also planned. The Mastercard debit card enables users to send and receive money around the world quickly and securely.
Co-founder and Chairman, TransferWise, Taavet Hinrikus, said: “TransferWise is removing the financial barriers keeping people from travelling, living, and working across borders. The international bank details are a key feature that truly set us apart.
“Our goal is to offer bank details for every country in the world through one borderless account — the world’s first global account. Since launching in Europe we’ve seen extraordinary customer take-up, with over $10 billion held in deposits so far. We’re now solving the problem for our US customers, that’s a huge moment in TransferWise’s story and very exciting.”
TransferWise debit card features
Key features of the account and debit card include:
- Real bank details for the UK, the US, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. International account and routing numbers, IBAN, and sort code unique to you
- 40 currencies to access with no limit on how many balances can be held.
- Savings features. The card knows to choose the cheapest option from your available balances
- Free to get the account. No subscription, no sign up fees, no monthly maintenance fee
- Security. Freeze/unfreeze the card instantly in the app and receive push notifications every time a transaction goes through.