The credit cards are the first products to be launched from the partnership between Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Money, facilitated by Mastercard
The Virgin Atlantic Reward and Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Credit Cards will enable customers to earn Flying Club miles when using their card.
The miles earned on the credit cards can be exchanged for the full range of Flying Club rewards including flights and cabin upgrades. Customers using the credit cards will also have free access to Virgin Money lounges and several offers from the Virgin Group.
Virgin Atlantic Reward credit card
- Earn 5,000 bonus Flying Club miles with the first card purchase. This only applies within the first 90 days of the account opening;
- Earn 0.75 Flying Club miles for every £1 ($1.50) spent;
- Direct bookings made with Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Holidays will earn customers double miles;
- If £20,000 is spent in a year, customers can choose a credit card reward;
- No annual fee attached.
Virgin Atlantic Reward+ credit card
- Earn 1.5 Flying Club miles for every £1 spent;
- Earn 15,000 bonus Flying Club miles with the first card purchase. Only applies within the first 90 days of the account opening;
- Earn double miles for all direct bookings with Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Holidays;
- If £10,000 is spent on this credit card a year, customers can choose from a range of credit card rewards;
- Free access to over one million global hotspots via Boingo wifi;
- There is an annual fee of £160 for this credit card.
The credit card rewards
Depending on spending, customers using the Reward and Reward+ credit cards can access a range of credit card rewards on offer. If a customer is a Red Flying Club member, they can choose a free premium upgrade when flying economy, or an economy reward companion seat which enables them to take a companion for no additional miles.
Silver members have access to these same options, as well as a premium reward companion seat or a pass for a Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse. Gold members can choose two Clubhouse passes, an economy, premium or upper-class reward companion seat. They can also opt for a free premium upgrade.
Oliver Byers, SVP of sales and customer loyalty at Virgin Atlantic, said: “We are incredibly excited to launch our new credit cards. With our cards, customers can earn miles on their everyday spend to redeem for flights and upgrades and more. On top of that, we’re offering our most valuable customers even more choice of rewards so that they can create the Virgin Atlantic experience that suits them best.’’
Jayne-Anne Gadhia, chief executive at Virgin Money, added: “We’re delighted to be launching the first products from our exciting new partnership with Virgin Atlantic, in a market that’s seen greatly reduced customer choice in recent years. Together we are offering customers an easy way to earn Flying Club miles and access to a brilliant range of Flying Club and Virgin Group benefits, all supported by the outstanding service customers expect from the Virgin brand.”
Customers using the credit cards have access to Virgin Money lounges, as well as enjoying free refreshments, use of iPads and wifi. The offers from the Virgin Group include discounts on several Virgin products such as train tickets, holidays and experience days.
Mark Barnett, divisional president for Mastercard in the UK, concluded:
“We know travel-related benefits are often the most popular and in demand by cardholders, and these same travel hungry consumers have shifted much of their payment behaviour onto cards over recent years because of the security and convenience they offer over cash. So it’s all the more exciting that these new cards will enable users to accrue their holiday benefits whenever they spend, wherever they are in the world.”