UK payments provider Zapp, a division of Vocalink, has scored the top prize at the annual Future Payments and Digital Banking event in London, Mobile Innovation of the Year.
Zapp, planned for launch at the end of 2014, has brought together four UK high street banks, HSBC, Santander, Nationwide and Metro Bank, to try and offer a universal mobile payments service.
A tie in judges’ votes saw both payments processor Global Payments and online money management service Nutmeg pick up the award for Online Innovation of the Year.
The two day conference brought together industry leaders to discuss changes to the payments industry and how the shift to digital banking has affected this.
Conference chairman and consumer finance editor Douglas Blakey said: "All of our winners this year were highly deserving, it’s been a great year for innovation and new products in the industry.
"The conference, both in turn out and content, will be tough to top next year."
Ixaris picked up the award for new prepaid product of the year for its Open Development Payments Platform (ODPP).
The judges were impressed by Ixaris’ API strategy, specifically the ODPP, allowing for increased functionality and customisation by third parties and for payment organisations to develop and launch new payment services without having to build them from scratch.
Ixaris collect their award for best new prepaid product
Gerry Cavander marketing and communications manager for Ixaris said: "It’s great that you have recognised our work in making an open payment platform become a reality that enables faster, cheaper, and more user friendly delivery of payments apps for corporates and consumers. Our people will be delighted and encouraged."
See below for a full list of winners. All category shortlists can be found here.
- Editor’s Award: Mobile innovation of the Year 2014 – Zapp
- Online Innovation of the Year 2014 – Global Payments
- Online Innovation of the Year 2014 – Nutmeg
- New Credit Card of the Year 2014 – Amex Everyday
- New Debit Card of the Year 2014 – Nationwide Flex card
- New Prepaid Product of the Year 2014 – Ixaris
- Co-branded, Affinity or Loyalty Product of the Year 2014 – Emirates/MBNA
- Best Innovation of the Year 2014 – Citi PayPoint
- Marketing Innovation of the Year 2014 – Barclaycard Contactless for London
- Card Processor of the Year 2014 – WorldPay
- Merchant Aquirer of the Year 2014 – Global Payments
- Merger or Acquisition of the Year 2014 – Monitise
- Security Innovation of the Year 2014 – Validsoft
Sponsors for the event included: Alaric; Signicat; First Data; Intelligent Environments; Ixaris, and mbna.