Total payments industry deals for January 2020 worth $643.78m were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 65.4% over the previous month and a drop of 91% when compared with the last 12-month average of $7.12bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 34.2% over the last 12-month average with 25 deals against the average of 38 deals.
In value terms, South and Central America led the activity with deals worth $447.53m.
Payments industry deals in January 2020: Top deals
The top five payments deals accounted for 94.4% of the overall value during January 2020.
The combined value of the top five payments deals stood at $607.53m, against the overall value of $643.78m recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry deals of January 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) CVC Capital Partners Fund VII’s $400m private equity deal with Hermes Transportes Blindados
2) The $80m venture financing of Currency Cloud by Accomplice, Anthemis Group, BNP Paribas, GV Management Co, International Finance, Notion Capital, Sapphire Ventures, SBI Holdings, Siam Commercial Bank and Visa
3) Linx’s $47.53m acquisition of PinPag
4) The $45m venture financing of Lydia Solutions by CNP Assurances, NewAlpha Asset Management, Tencent Holdings and Xange Private Equity
5) CRE Venture Capital, eVentures Growth, Fidelity National Information Services, Green Visor Capital ManagementLLC, Greycroft Partners and Visa’s venture financing of Flutterwave for $35m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.