Total payments industry deals for Q4 2019 worth $5.06bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 37.7% over the previous quarter and a drop of 75.6% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $20.73bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 26.1% over the last four-quarter average with 85 deals against the average of 115 deals.
In value terms, Europe led the activity with deals worth $2.13bn.
Payments industry deals in Q4 2019: Top deals
The top five payments deals accounted for 71% of the overall value during Q4 2019.
The combined value of the top five payments deals stood at $3.59bn, against the overall value of $5.06bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry deals of Q4 2019 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Nexi’s $1.11bn asset transaction with Intesa Sanpaolo
2) The $1bn venture financing of One97 Communications by Ant Financial Services Group, D1 Capital Partners, Discovery Capital Management, SoftBank Vision Fund and T Rowe Price Associates
3) Alipay.com, SoftBank Vision Fund and T. Rowe Price Group’s $668.44m venture financing of One97 Communications
4) The $452.66m acquisition of Ebury Partners by Banco Santander
5) EML Payments’ acquisition of Prepaid Financial Services for $358.84m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.