IT management company 3 Step IT’s annual Sustainability Report has shown that in 2018 it refurbished and resold more than 97% of devices returned at the end of their lease, and recycled the remaining 3% of devices that were beyond economic repair.
3 Step IT increased its annual remarketing production volume by 13% for the year, handling over 478,463 devices in 2018. 3 Step IT sold 95% of devices refurbished in its European centres to countries with an effective e-waste regulatory environment. The company also reused 6000kg of plastic as packaging material for units leaving its centres and opened a refurbishing centre in Finland.
3 Step IT’s chief executive officer Carmen Ene said: “World Environment Day prompts us to reflect on our impact on the planet. Clearly, it is not enough to provide a service that helps others to become more sustainable. We must provide that service in an ever more sustainable way – as a customer, partner, employer or a consumer of resources.”
In April this year 3 Step IT has recorded an operating profit of €24.5m (£21.2m) in its annual report.
3 Step IT grew its remarketing business, with the number of IT devices handled up 13% to 478,463 devices. In the last financial year the rental sales team won 642 new customers, ranging in size of deal from a few dozen new devices to major international bids for equipment shipping in 54 countries.
In February BNP Paribas Leasing Solutions and 3 Step IT agreed to create a European strategic alliance for technology lifecycle management, with a planned joint venture by the end of the year.
The alliance will be effective in the 20 European countries where each of the partners operates, as part of a partnership developed under the name “BNP Paribas 3 Step IT”. Within the partnership, a joint venture operation will trade in 11 countries, starting in France, Italy, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.