Leasing Life, in collaboration with Tallon & Associates,
publishes a monthly analysis of data onthe demand for used assets.
This month we look at the performance of assets in the construction
sector during 2007
- Demand remained steady throughout much of the year.
Tracked Excavators (1 – 9.5 tonnes)
- Demand slowed throughout the later stages of 2007 partly due to
the slow down in general house and small contract building
- Indications do, however, show a steadily increasing demand
during early 2008.
Tracked Excavators (10 – 21 tonnes)
- The main stay of the excavator range where demand never dipped
below the average.
- Indications for early 2008 show demand slowly increasing,
although only the coming months will prove if the same will
Tracked Excavators (21.5 + tonnes)
- A relatively steady demand for the higher capacity excavators
as predominantly used for large civil projects with high capacity
- The strengthening export market is expected to increase
Articulated Dump Trucks
- A seasonal requirement for ‘muck shifting’ in the early to mid
parts of the year resulted in the high requirement. This was
increased in 2007 as work had to be carried out when the wet
- Strong demand for much of year due to ongoing large-scale
- Demand slowed in the later stages of the year with the slow
down in the export market reducing demand further.
Wheeled Loading Shovels
- Generally no major changes in demand for the wheeled
shovels however as with most construction plant, leading
manufacturers machinery will sell quicker than second tier
- The reducing export market in the later stages of 2007 resulted
in the negative demand fluctuation.
- Again, demand slowed due to the general slow down in the
house and small contract-building sector.
- Demand is expected to slowly increase during the first /
second quarter of 2008 however early signs have not shown as
- A continually weak UK market, which is showing little if no
improvement in the coming months due to limited operational
- A large quantity of second user machines are available on the
US second user market place due to major downturn in the cabling