US-based investment bank Goldman Sachs was the leading financial adviser globally in 2018 according to an exclusive ranking of financial advisers in 2018 compiled by GlobalData.
It advised on deals worth $1.1trn in 2018 – including the year’s biggest deal, Takeda Pharma’s $80.4bn acquisition of Shire.
The ranking compliments GlobalData’s list of legal advisers which advised on worldwide deals.
According to GlobalData’s analysis, Goldman Sachs was also the number one deals financial adviser globally in 2017. In 2018 it saw a 25% jump in the value of deals it advised on and a 28% jump in volume.
GlobalData uses its tracking of worldwide mergers and acquisitions, private equity/venture capital deals and asset transaction activity to compile the league table.
JP Morgan finished second with a total deal value of $1,021bn, closely followed by Morgan Stanley with deals worth $1,020bn in 2018.
The three US-based multinational investment banks were the only financial advisers to break through the $1trn margin according to GlobalData’s rankings.
With 245 deals valued at $748.2bn, and 188 deals worth $672.2bn, Citi and Bank of America Merrill Lynch secured fourth and fifth positions, respectively.
Goldman Sachs continued its lead even in terms of volume with 376 deals during the year. JP Morgan and Rothschild & Co jointly secured the second position with 344 deals in FY2018. Morgan Stanley stood next in the volume chart at 285, followed by Citi at 245.
Top financial advisers 2018: Full top-20 ranking
GlobalData’s league tables are based on the real-time tracking of thousands of company websites, advisory firms and other reliable sources. A dedicated team of analysts monitors these sources to gather in-depth details for each deal, including adviser names and deal values.
Free download worth over $5000Download our 2018 Technology, Media and Telecoms Predictions Report
In this report, we look at the 30 big tech themes for 2019, identifying winners and losers for each theme. This report will impact all industries helping:
- CEOs/Senior Staff: in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TM
- Personal login credentials to privatebankerinternational.com
- Breaking news alerts
- Daily news and analysis email summary
- In-depth special reports on key trends and developments
- Exclusive C-level interviews
- Opinions & comments from market participants and key thought leaders
- Annual Global AuM and APAC AUM survey data, as well as monthly country reports