At Retail Banker International’s Global Awards (RBI Awards 2019), ING won Global Retail Bank of the Year.
ING was awarded this prize due to its customer focused strategy that balanced regulatory compliance with innovative solutions. The bank is also continuing to build upon its KYC enhancement programme to offer an overall improved customer experience.
With healthy results and a strong strategy, this bank continues to achieve strong commercial momentum. At the end of March 2019, this bank joined forces with the Bank of Beijing to launch a digital-only bank to meet consumers’ ever-changing digital needs.
In addition, RBC was the only bank to pick up more than one trophy at the RBI Awards 2019; North America Retail Bank of the Year and Best Loyalty/Rewards Strategy.
In 2018, the winning bank posted a record C$12.4 billion in net income – an 8% increase over 2017 – The bank again met and exceeded all of its medium-term objectives. It delivered double-digit diluted earnings per share growth of 11% (above a target of 7.5%).
Furthermore, delivering over $1bn in value to its loyalty customers has allowed it to grow its credit card portfolio at two or three times the rate of its competitors. Reward points can also be used outside of the bank for bills, groceries and more.
In your opinion, what presents the biggest operational challenge for FS providers in the COVID-19 crisis?
- Switching to large scale homeworking (51%, 162 Votes)
- Retraining the staff (32%, 102 Votes)
- Changing operating hours of branches and call centres (17%, 54 Votes)
Total Voters: 318
Retail Banker of the Year was won by Oliver Hughes, CEO of Tinkoff Bank.
The CEO has set ambitious targets – and smashed them. Net income grew by 43%; assets up by 45%; lending up 53%; deposits up 56%. In the decade since its formation, it now has 12% market share for credit cards, ranking second in Russia and is enjoying phenomenal growth in respect of current accounts growth.
Other awards included Best Branch Strategy, which went to Metro Bank, and Best Mobile Banking Strategy which was won by PKO Bank Polski.
— Metro Bank (@Metro_Bank) April 25, 2019
Full list of RBI Awards 2019 winners:
- Best Branch Strategy: Metro Bank
- Best Use of Data Analytics: Akbank
- Security Innovation of the Year: UBS
- Best Bank/Fintech Partnership: RBS & Loot
- Best Mobile Banking Strategy: PKO Bank Polski
- Best Open Banking Strategy: Starling Bank
- Best IT Transformation and Innovation: Raiffeisen Bank
- Diversity & Inclusion Award: Barclays
- Best Self Service Strategy: Israel Discount Bank
- Best Use of Digital Marketing and Social Media: first direct
- Product Innovation of the Year: Alior Bank
- Best Loyalty/Rewards Strategy: RBC
- Excellence in Customer Centricity: Intesa Sanpaolo
- North America Retail Bank of the Year: RBC
- Middle East Retail Bank of the Year: Emirates NBD
- Asia Pacific Retail Bank of the Year: DBS Bank
- Africa Retail Bank of the Year: Standard Chartered
- Latin America Retail Bank of the Year: Banco Bradesco
- European Retail Bank of the Year BBVA
- Bank Launch of the year: Space, Georgia
- Retail Banker of the Year: Oliver Hughes, CEO, Tinkoff Bank
- Global Retail Bank of the Year: ING