US technology industry saw a rise of 10.00% in overall big data deal activity during January 2021, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by Cisco Systems’ $4.5bn acquisition of Acacia Communications, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 77 big data deals worth $7.38bn were announced in January 2021, compared with the 12-month average of 70 deals.
venture financing was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 37 deals, which accounted for 48.05% of all big data deals.
How well do you really know your competitors?
Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.
Your download email will arrive shortly
Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample
We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below formBy GlobalData
In second place was M&A with 30 big data deals, followed by private equity with ten transactions, respectively accounting for 39% and 13% of overall deal activity in the US technology industry during the month.
In terms of value of big data deals, M&A was the leading deal category in the US technology industry with total deals worth $4.93bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $1.36bn and $1.09bn respectively.
US technology industry big data deals in January 2021: Top deals
The top five technology industry big data deals accounted for 71.7% of the overall value during January 2021.
The combined value of the top five technology big data deals stood at $5.3bn, against the overall value of $7.38bn recorded for the month.
The top five technology industry big data deals of January 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Cisco Systems’ $4.5bn acquisition of Acacia Communications
2) The $350m private equity deal with Crescent Acquisition and LiveVox
3) Altimeter Capital Management, Benchmark Capital, Bond Capital Management, FirstMark Capital, Greenoaks Capital Management, GV Management Co, Index Ventures (US), Lone Pine Capital and Tiger Global Management’s $160m merger of Cockroach Labs
4) The $150m venture financing deal with BloomReach by Sixth Street Growth
5) Cisco Investments, Insight Partners, Lightspeed Management Company, Norwest Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures and Sapphire Ventures’ venture financing with Dremio for $135m.