North America’s technology industry saw a rise of 17.62% in deal activity during July 2021, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by Zoom Video Communications’ $15.15bn acquisition of Five9, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 928 technology industry deals worth $59.9bn were announced for the region in July 2021, against the 12-month average of 789 deals.
Of all the deal types, venture financing saw most activity in July 2021 with 613 transactions, representing a 66.1% share for the region.
In second place was M&A with 251 deals, followed by private equity deals with 64 transactions, respectively capturing a 27.05% and 6.9% share of the overall deal activity for the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading category in North America’s technology industry with $24.6bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $21.25bn and $14.06bn, respectively.
North America technology industry deals in July 2021: Top deals
The top five technology deals accounted for 54.5% of the overall value during July 2021.
The combined value of the top five technology deals stood at $32.66bn, against the overall value of $59.9bn recorded for the month.
The top five technology industry deals of July 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Five9 $15.15bn acquisition deal with Zoom Video Communications
2) The $6.68bn private equity of Medallia by Thoma Bravo
3) Stamps.com $6.6bn private equity deal with Thoma Bravo
4) Lumen Technologies $2.74bn private equity deal with AustralianSuper and Stonepeak Partners
5) The $1.5bn venture financing of Articulate Global by Blackstone Growth,General Atlantic,ICONIQ Growth and LionTree
Verdict deals analysis methodology