Total technology industry big data deals worth $51.6bn were announced globally for May 2021, with the $43bn acquisition of Warner Media being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 56.8% over the previous month of $32.91bn and a rise of 193% when compared with the last 12-month average of $17.61bn.
In terms of number of big data deals, the sector saw a drop of 16.28% with 144 deals in May 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 172 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with big data deals worth $49.9bn in May 2021.
technology industry big data deals in May 2021: Top deals
The top five big data deals accounted for 96% of the overall value during May 2021.
The combined value of the top five big data deals stood at $49.52bn, against the overall value of $51.6bn recorded for the month.
The top five technology industry big data deals of May 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Discovery’s $43bn acquisition of Warner Media
2) The $5.3bn acquisition of ProQuest by Clarivate
3) BlackRock Private Equity Partners, Bpifrance, Canaan Partners, Eurazeo Growth, Highland Europe (UK), KKRInc and SoftBank Vision Fund II’s $500m venture financing of ContentSquare
4) The $420m acquisition deal of Data Foundry by Switch
5) Valmont Industries’ acquisition deal with Prospera Technologies for $300m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology