Total technology industry cybersecurity deals worth $8.91bn were announced globally for January 2021, with the $7.1bn acquisition of Perspecta being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 90.8% over the previous month of $4.67bn and a rise of 157.5% when compared with the last 12-month average of $3.46bn.
In terms of number of cybersecurity deals, the sector saw a drop of 26.88% with 68 deals in January 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 93 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with cybersecurity deals worth $8.78bn in January 2021.
technology industry cybersecurity deals in January 2021: Top deals
The top five cybersecurity deals accounted for 96.04% of the overall value during January 2021.
The combined value of the top five cybersecurity deals stood at $8.56bn, against the overall value of $8.91bn recorded for the month.
The top five technology industry cybersecurity deals of January 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Peraton’s $7.1bn acquisition of Perspecta
2) The $640m acquisition of Kount by Equifax
3) Altimeter Capital Management, Coatue Management, D1 Capital Partners, Dragoneer Investment Group, Liberty Global Ventures, Snowflake Ventures, Sutter Hill Ventures and Tiger Global Management’s $525m venture financing of Lacework
4) The $150m private equity deal of Tanium by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
5) Francisco Partners Management and NightDragon Security’s private equity deal with Iboss Inc for $145m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed big data deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.