Asia-Pacific’s technology industry saw a drop of 6.94% in cloud deal activity during January 2021, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by Beijing Xicheng Jinrui Equity Investment Fund Management, Boyu Capital Consultancy, China Development Bank, China ReformLtd, CSC Financial, FountainVest Partners, Goldman Sachs Asia Securities, Haitong Securities, HOPU Jinghua (Beijing) Investment ManagementLimited, JIC TechnologyLimited, JinYi Capital, National Manufacturing Transformation and Upgrading Fund, Primavera Capital Group and Sequoia Capital China’s $700m acquisition of Beijing Wusi Chuangxiang Technology, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 67 technology industry cloud deals worth $1.62bn were announced for the region in January 2021, against the 12-month average of 72 deals.
Of all the deal types, venture financing saw most activity in January 2021 with 52 transactions, representing a 77.6% share for the region.
In second place was M&A with 12 deals, followed by private equity deals with three transactions, respectively capturing a 17.9% and 4.5% share of the overall cloud deal activity for the month.
In terms of value of cloud deals, venture financing was the leading category in Asia-Pacific’s technology industry with $1.52bn, while M&A and private equity deals totalled $62.62m and $40m, respectively.
Asia-Pacific technology industry cloud deals in January 2021: Top deals
The top five technology cloud deals accounted for 82.1% of the overall value during January 2021.
The combined value of the top five technology cloud deals stood at $1.33bn, against the overall value of $1.62bn recorded for the month.
The top five technology industry cloud deals of January 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Beijing Xicheng Jinrui Equity Investment Fund Management, Boyu Capital Consultancy, China Development Bank, China ReformLtd, CSC Financial, FountainVest Partners, Goldman Sachs Asia Securities, Haitong Securities, HOPU Jinghua (Beijing) Investment ManagementLimited, JIC TechnologyLimited, JinYi Capital, National Manufacturing Transformation and Upgrading Fund, Primavera Capital Group and Sequoia Capital China’s $700m venture financing of Beijing Wusi Chuangxiang Technology
2) The $400m venture financing deal with Horizon Robotics by Aspex, Baillie Gifford, China Securities, Citic Private Equity Funds Management, CloudAlpha Tech Fund, Contemporary Amperex Technology, Hermitage Capital HK, Neumann Advisors, ORIX, SDHS Capital, YF Capital and Yuantai Changqing Fund
3) CICC Capital ManagementLimited and Tencent Investment’s $140m venture financing of Shanghai Woqu Information Technology
4) The $50.5m venture financing of Shanghai Woqu Information Technology by Sequoia Capital China Fund
5) Carmignac’s private equity deal with EHang for $40m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed artificial intelligence deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.