Total technology industry venture financing deals worth $4.52bn were announced in Asia-Pacific in January 2021, led by $700m venture financing of Beijing Wusi Chuangxiang Technology, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 52.5% over the previous month of $9.51bn and a rise of 23.5% when compared with the last 12-month average of $3.66bn.
Asia-Pacific held a 31.50% share of the global technology industry venture financing deal value that totalled $14.35bn in January 2021. With a 26.20% share and deals worth $3.76bn, China was the top country in Asia-Pacific’s venture financing deal value across technology industry.
In terms of venture financing deal activity, Asia-Pacific recorded 239 deals during January 2021, marking a decrease of 33.61% over the previous month and a drop of 22.65% over the 12-month average. China recorded 142 deals during the month.
Asia-Pacific technology industry venture financing deals in January 2021: Top deals
The top five technology industry venture financing deals accounted for 45.1% of the overall value during January 2021.
The combined value of the top five technology venture financing deals stood at $2.04bn, against the overall value of $4.52bn recorded for the month.
The top five technology industry venture financing deals of January 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Beijing Xicheng Jinrui Equity Investment Fund Management, Boyu Capital Consultancy, China Development Bank, China ReformLtd, CSC Financial, FountainVest Partners, Goldman Sachs Asia Securities, Haitong Securities, HOPU Jinghua (Beijing) Investment ManagementLimited, JIC TechnologyLimited, JinYi Capital, National Manufacturing Transformation and Upgrading Fund, Primavera Capital Group and Sequoia Capital China’s $700m venture financing of Beijing Wusi Chuangxiang Technology
2) The $400m venture financing of Horizon Robotics by Aspex, Baillie Gifford, China Securities, Citic Private Equity Funds Management, CloudAlpha Tech Fund, Contemporary Amperex Technology, Hermitage Capital HK, Neumann Advisors, ORIX, SDHS Capital, YF Capital and Yuantai Changqing Fund
3) Bertelsmann Asia Investments, Coatue Management, GGV Capital, Hillhouse Capital Group, Jeneration Capital, Morningside Venture Capital Group, SoftBank Vision Fund and Tencent Holdings’ $360m venture financing of Beijing Calorie Technology
4) The $300m venture financing of SDidi Chuxing by CCB International Holdings, Guotai Junan International, IDG Capital and Russia-China Investment Fund
5) Altimeter Capital Management, DST Global, GGV Capital, Lightspeed Management Company, Moonstone Capital Partners, Octahedron Capital Management and Tencent Holdings’ venture financing of Udaan.com for $280m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.